Fires are mainly caused by carelessness on the part of the occupants of a house, factory, office or a shop. Sometimes, fire can be caused by electrical short circuit or lightning.
Last week, I visited my friend in Jurong. There I had the opportunity to witness a terrible fire which gutted almost the entire row of small factories. It was around 8 p.m., my friend and I were practicing our guitars for the forthcoming music competition. Suddenly, we were attracted by shouts and sirens. They were also cries of distress. We rushed out of the house and saw a huge fire engulfing the factory situated some four hundred meters from our block.
With horror filled eyes, my friend and I ran towards the place. We saw a plastic factory on fire and the workers were helpless. By then, a big crowd had gathered and nobody could do anything but to express sorrow. Within minutes of our arrival at the scene, several fire engines arrived. It was a tragic event which I cannot easily forget. I saw fear and panic everywhere.
The firemen were engaged in a heroic battle with raging fire. They seemed helpless as the jets of water from the hoses were not able to control the fire. The firemen struggled for nearly six hours before the fire was subdued. By then nearly four factories were completely gutted.
I will never forget this fire incident.”